Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Tuesday Sept 9, 2014




This is our first lesson for the new season. I chose a basic landscape and tonal pallet because I wanted to keep the techniques simple. The skills I focused on are, painting a graded wash, for the sky and what John Ruskin calls the "confusion mode" which is what we did when painting the leaves of the trees. We used a photo from the Sandy Delta Park where there are many of these tree and field scenes. I stayed pretty true to the scene , the only major change I made is adding the figure under the tree on the right. We did a value study in charcoal first and then followed the same steps to create the painting. We used only blue and brown for the whole thing except for a tiny bit of red in the figures face and arms.


Steve Kleier / Artist

1 comment:

  1. Yep, that's a Kleier Painting. Take a simple scene and create something with that special feel.

    ReplyDelete